Purpose: To promote the value and pursuit of education among youth within the Greater Salt Lake community to encourage and support our future leaders of tomorrow.
- The Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy: Catching the Dreams of Tomorrow, Preparing Young Women for the 21st Century: Delta Academy is a program for at-risk aged 11-14 that provides academic enrichment and personal development. The program augments academic enrichment in the areas of math, science, and technology. Young women are engaged in lessons about etiquette and self-esteem. We take pride in preparing our young women for leadership positions in the 21st century.
- Delta GEMS: Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully: Delta GEMS is an expansion of Delta Academy created for young ladies ages 14-18 to develop the skills they need to succeed in college, careers, and life. Designed around the five program components of Scholarship, Sisterhood, Show Me the Money, Service, and Infinitely Complete, public speaking, time management, healthy relationships, sex education, and interview skills. These workshops allow for self-reflection, individual growth, accountability, academic excellence, creativity, and leadership.
International Awareness and Involvement
Purpose: To encourage involvement in international affairs; especially affairs that affect people of the African Diaspora. To educate the community at-large on current and ongoing issues within the international arena.
- Donations to the Rising Stars Daycare
Physical and Mental Health
Purpose: To provide assistance and resources to the Greater Salt Lake community on physical and mental health issues. The committee’s primary focus is educating and empowering people through activities and events. This includes monetary donations, personal testimonies, putting on workshops, and active hands on participation.
- Northern Utah AIDS Coalition Fundraiser
- American Heart Association Walk-A-Thon
Political Awareness and Involvement
Purpose: To keep the Greater Salt Lake area informed of current political and social issues on the local, state, and national levels.
- Voter Education and Registration Drives
- Delta Days at the Capitol
ARTS & LETTERS
Purpose: This committee acts as a liaison for organizations bringing African/African-American music, literary, and artistic events to the Greater Salt Lake area and surrounding communities. Several events and projects are held throughout the year to enrich and enlighten. Programs:
- Volunteers for the play "For Colored Girls"
- Hosted screening of film "Freedom Riders"